Sunday, January 2, 2011

11 in 2011-Day 2



I've linked up with mj @ teaching in heels and kit @ step into my life for 11 in 2011.  For some reason it is very difficult for me to type 2011...every time i blog and type the year I have to go back and correct the date...for some reason I keep typing 2001..im a little behind....2001

What is your favorite Christmas memory?

My favorite Christmas memory this year was just being with my family.  Nothing specific really stands out..i'm just glad that we were all here, healthy, and in the same place.  Last year C lived 3 hours away, I hated my apartment, roommate situation was beyond awkward and made Christmas eve, which is very important to me, a complete mess!  I didn't get to have a tree in my apartment last year either....NO TREE=VERY UPSET ASHLEY.  So this year I loved that C and I lived in the same town and we got to have the perfect Christmas Eve this year:)! 

One highlight of Christmas for me, besides what I have already said, was Christmas night.  My family, like usual, headed the movies.  Half of my family went to see Yogi Bear while C, my mom, and I went to watch Gulliver's Travels.  When the movie was over we walked outside and it was snowing very lightly.  It literally only lasted a minute or so, but it was a perfect ending to the day! 

My favorite memory of all time comes from 2004 though.  I know that is forever ago..but that Christmas really sticks out from all the others.  It doesn't stick out for being amazing or really special, but rather for being very difficult and sad.  My grandpa, who was the most special person in the world to me, passed away in October of 2004.  It was a complete shock and very hard!  It was the first time I had ever lost anyone in my life, and losing someone that really is one of a kind is never easy.  My family tried to go about things as normal, but we all knew nothing was okay or normal.  We all just slapped on smiles and tried to act happy basically.  About two weeks prior to Christmas the memorial established for my grandfather online was about to expire, meaning that any of the kind words from those who loved him would go away forever unless we printed them off.  I remember my mom getting on the website ready to order the book with all the families memories and such of him, but what she found instead was that the memorial had already been disabled.  We were all pretty upset over it!  The memorial had very sweet memories and pictures from family all over the united states that couldn't necessarily make it back for the funeral.  ANYWAYS, fast forward to Christmas night...we all begin to open presents and we were almost done with the printer started going off....i got up and walked over to find the memorial posts being printed out....I get chills even thinking about it because we were all pretty clueless as to how it could have happened.  I'm pretty sure that was my grandfather's gift to all of us. 

What was your favorite Christmas memory??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That memory of 2004 gives me chills too. What a wonderful memory to have and to have the pages of memories too...

Kit said...

What a cool story! I am glad that you all got all of those print outs!

... said...

Wow. This really gives you the chills.